As the days continue to get longer, and with June just around the corner, our Bayview Glen Camp team is in full preparation mode for programming this summer. We’ve been keeping busy working on our staff hiring and training, program plans, theme days, lunch menu, and everything else that is required to pull off a spectacular summer at Camp. With confirmation that camp is a go, we are starting to visualize what the summer will look like, and we could not be more excited
However, we do recognize that it might be challenging for our families to imagine a summer full of fun right now. With students in virtual school and an extension to the current lockdown, Camp may be the farthest thing from your mind. In a typical year, this would be the time when kids start to get excited about finishing school, and start gearing up for an exciting summer ahead. Although things do not seem typical right now, that doesn’t mean you can’t start getting into the spirit of Camp!
If you need a little reminder of what makes Camp so special, and what Camp has to offer this summer, we’re here to help! We’ve put together a list of 5 of our favourite camp games and activities that you can play at home. Try them with your families to get into the camp spirit, and share with us any stories or pictures if you do!
Heads, Heads, Tails, Tails
- 2 quarters
- To cross the line first!
- The leader of the game will show that they have 2 quarters in their hand
- Players must “lock in” their options of what they think their coins will show before they are flipped
- Player Options:
- Heads/Heads – both coins show “heads”, player places both hands on head
- Tails/Tails – both coins show “tails”, player places both hands on bottom
- Heads/Tails – one coin shows “heads” and the other shows “tails”, player will place one hand on head and one on bottom
- Once each player has “locked in” their answer, the leader will flip both coins at the same time
- Each player that guesses correctly moves forward one leap.
- If a player is gets it wrong, they stand in place!
- The first player to get to the leader will be declared the winner!
Sink or Float
- Various objects that can get wet that will be determined if they sink or float (e.g. dishes, silverware, cans, toys, etc. – get creative and have a wide variety of items!)
- To accumulate as many points as possible by correctly guessing if an object will sink or float once dropped in the bath tub
- The leader will select 1 object at a time to drop in the bath tub
- Players will have to decide if the object will sink or float before it is dropped in the tub
- Once players have all decided, the object will be dropped into the tub
- Players will keep track of how many points they receive – 1 point is awarded for each correct guess
- Players must “lock in” their answers before the object is dropped – they may not change their mind
- The player with the most points wins
Name That Tune
- Playlist with popular songs (pop music, Disney, TV shows, etc.)
- Paper and pencil for each player/team participating
- To correctly guess as many of the mystery tunes as possible
- The leader will play the first 10 seconds or select clips of the songs on the playlist, one at a time
- Players will be given about 1-2 minutes to write down their answer before moving onto the next song
- If playing in teams, players may work together to formulate the best possible answer
- After all of the clips have been played once, you can then cycle through again to give the players one last opportunity to hear the songs
- During the second time around, there will be no time for writing in between
- At the end, the sheets are collected and each song is played until the players can tell what it is
- The team/player with the most correct guesses is the winner
And here is a crafty one for Father’s Day!
We found this fun T-Shirt idea that can be done with the kids without making too much mess….and having some serious fun!
Shout out to all the RAD DAD’s – this one is for you!
Camp is starting July 5th…..but until then, we hope we can add a little camp fun to your afternoons or weekends!